Ensuring a team performs effectively is a hard task. In every team, there are problems and your team members may not perform to their maximum potential. This is very dangerous for you since it means that the projects are not performing as expected. Your challenge may be to ensure that they maximize their potential through team building activities.
Here are a few suggestions on how to enhance your team’s performance:
- Create clear goals for the team. The team members will be most effective when they know what they are supposed to do and at what time. They have to believe that their endeavors are headed to yield positive results and this will encourage them to appreciate the goals of the team. Appreciating the goal of the team will assist them in putting aside their personal priorities and focus on carrying out their job well. This will also help them in appreciating the jobs of other team members and enhance team building in the team thus enhancing their performance.
- Help them build mutual trust. Trust is very important if the team, members are to work together and share information with each other. Don`t let the team members feel like they are being sidelined but are part of the decision-making process. This will ensure that they are able to approach you in case of any problems and thus you will be able to solve them as they come and improve the performance of the team. Trust is essential for team building to take place. Finally, be dependable as a leader and honest
- Provide necessary support. Support may be emotional, financial or even physical. If you have given a team member a job then provide him with the necessary resources to carry out the job effectively. If you give a member authority then also give him power to be able to do the job since one cannot work without the other it will be all in vain. If you do this you can correct them and tell them to improve since they have all that they need to do their work perfectly. This is also necessary for team building as no one will feel left out or less than the others
- Offer development opportunities. After you have built their trust and provided them with support you can now offer them platforms to grow in their various areas of expertise. As a leader, it is important to also think about trainings that are appropriate to ensure that the team members achieve their goals. You can also support and coach them in their achievements and ensure that each day the team is growing in skills. Team building also plays a role in this since the team members can also sharpen each other in their skills.
- Finally, create performance agreements. You must agree with the team members the performance targets that are expected of them. You can do this by agreeing what is to be done and by when, decide on the standards of behavior necessary to achieve the results, make sure everyone is equipped with what they need to achieve the results and finally assign consequences to failure to achieve the results. A mutual understanding should be there to ensure unanimity of direction in the team. Personal agreements ensure that employees are responsible for their own performance thus enhancing the team`s performance.